Parking Regulations - Penalties
Violations of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, The Criminal Code of Canada, the Trespass to Property Act or the University Student Rights and Responsibilities, may result in a charge being laid by the Campus Community Police, in addition to any other penalties or costs that may be applicable.
- Driving or parking a vehicle on other than roadways or parking lots is subject to the cost of repairs, immediate tow away at owner/operator’s expense, plus a fine.
- Parking improperly so as to impede traffic and/or interfere with the normal business of the University is subject to immediate tow away at owner/operator’s expense plus a fine.
- Parking in a permit lot, or in areas where on-street permit parking is allowed, while not clearly displaying the required valid permit, is subject to a parking fine of $50.00.
- Parking a vehicle on Arboretum Road adjacent to the Arboretum Information Booth is restricted to 2 hours per day. Offending vehicles are subject to a parking fine of $50.00.
- Operators of vehicles displaying illegal permits will be subject to a penalty of $300.00 in addition to immediate tow away. Second offence is $500.00 in addition to immediate tow away.
- Vehicles are not permitted to park in a designated Fire Route. Fire Routes are located across campus and are clearly identified by signage. They include both sides of the roadway. Fire Routes are enforced twenty four hours per day and seven days per week. Offending vehicles are subject to a parking fine of $100.00 and immediate tow away at the owner/operator’s risk and expense.
- Parking within 3 meters of a fire hydrant is subject to a $50.00 fine and immediate tow away at the owner/operator's risk and expense.
- Driving in the Restricted Bus and Emergency vehicles only area is subject to a parking fine of $100.00 and immediate tow away at the owner/operator’s risk and expense.
- Parking in a designated Accessible Parking space without proper identification and/or making required payment, is subject to a parking fine of $300.00 and immediate tow away at the owner/operator’s risk and expense.
- A fine of $25.00 will be levied for all other parking and traffic violations within these regulations. (Note: Most $25.00 fines are reduced to $22.00 if paid within seven calendar days).
- A fine of $25.00 will be levied to vehicles parked in a metered zone with the meter displaying expired or the time recorded by the university under the pay by phone option is 0 (zero).
- Tickets not paid within fourteen calendar days or not paid within fourteen calendar days following loss of appeal, will result in a Revocation Notice – loss of parking privileges violation being issued and the vehicle will be subject to immediate tow away at the owner/operator’s risk and expense any time the vehicle is found on campus whether parked legally or not. (Refer to Section 6.8).
- Until all outstanding fines are paid, a new parking permit will not be issued. Outstanding fines can be applied to accounts through vehicle license numbers. Registered owners of vehicles are traced through the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. Any search charges will also be applied to the account. The University may take action against persons found in default of fines through:
- Withdrawal of parking privileges and subsequent towing of offending vehicles at the owner/operator’s expense.
- Account transferred to Student Financial Services for Academic Sanction.
- Submission of account to an outside collection agency.